Campus Life

HOME > Campus Life > Resident status > Procedures to Stay in Japan > Changing Status of Residence

Changing Status of Residence

 You need to have a permit to change your status to "Student" if your status is currently registered as "Cultural Activities","Family Visit" or a "Pre-College Student". If you are engaging in a new activity which is not authorized under your present status, you may be subject to punishment that may result in deportation. In addition, as a general rule for people who entered the country with a "Temporary Visitor's Visa" status cannot change to a "Student Visa" status.
 In order to change your status, submit the following documents to the Nagoya Regional Immigration Bureau Hamamatsu Branch Office with your Passport and Alien Registration Card.

  • Application for Changing Status of Residence
  • Degree student: 1 copy of Certificate of Entry to the University(or Certificate of Completion of Entrance Procedures)
  • Research student: Written representation of the content of the research
  • Non-degree student and Auditor: Certificates of registered courses and hours.
  • 4,000 yen of Service charge (stamp revenue)

 A status change permit will take three weeks to one month to process. If you are planning to move before obtaining this permit, you must notify the office where you applied of your new address (contact information).