International Exchange

HOME > University Guide > International Exchange > Procedures to Stay in Japan

Procedures to Stay in Japan

 In order to fulfill the documentation process to stay in Japan, you need to go to Hamamatsu Branch Office of the Nagoya Regional Immigration Bureau. For more information on the necessary documents, please contact the Hamamatsu Branch Office in advance. Nagoya Regional Immigration Bureau Hamamatsu Branch Office

   1-12-4 Chuo, Naka-ku, Hamamatsu, 430-0929  Tel 053-458-6496

1) Changing Status of Residence

  • You need to have a permit to change your status to “student” if your status is currently registered as “Cultural Activities”,”Family Visit” or a “Pre-College Student”. If you are engaging in a new activity which is not authorized under your present status, you may be subject to punishment that may result in deportation. In addition, as a general rule for people who entered the country with a “temporary visitor’s visa” status cannot change to a “student visa” status.
  • In order to change your status, submit the following documents to the Nagoya Regional Immigration Bureau Hamamatsu Branch Office with your Passport and Alien Registration Card. A status change permit will take three weeks to one month to process. If you are planning to move before obtaining this permit, you must notify the office where you applied of your new address (contact information).

  a)Application for Changing Status of Residence
  b)Degree student→ A copy of Certificate of Entry to the University(or Certificate of Completion of Entrance
   Procedures) Research student→ Written representation of the content of the research, Non-degree
   student and Auditor→ Certificates of registered courses and hours.
  c)Service charge (stamp revenue)4,000 yen

2) Visa Extension

  • You will need this permit if you intend to stay in Japan as a student for longer than the authorized period of stay. If you stay longer without obtaining a permit, you may be subject to punishment.
    You can apply for a visa extension two months prior to the date of expiration for your period of stay.
  • One year or six-month periods of residence are usually given, even if your remaining college term is less than one year. However, if you lose your student status (because of graduation or completion of studies), you may not be able to remain in Japan with College Student status. If you remain in Japan after your visa expired, it will be considered as staying outside of one’s original purpose, so you should leave Japan soon after the program ends, or apply for a status change. A short period of stay for preparation for leaving Japan (including sightseeing) may be permitted.
  • To apply for the extension of your period of stay, you need to submit the following documents with your Passport and Alien Registration Card:
        Application for Visa Extension
        School Enrollment Certificate
        Academic transcript
        Service charge(stamp revenue) 4,000 yen

3) Permission to engage in activities outside of visa status

  • Your activities under the college student visa status are restricted solely to study and research. If you need to work part-time(activities accompanied with rewards, excluding temporary lectures etc.) for financial necessity, you must submit a supplementary letter issued by the university and request a permit from the immigration office in advance.
  • If you work part-time, please keep it within a range where it will not disrupt your studies.
  • Restricted Part-Time Work means that degree students can work up to 28 hours per week (8 hours per day during long vacation periods), and non-degree students (research student etc. ) can work up to 14 hours per week (8 hours per day during long vacation periods). You are not allowed to work in the adult-entertainment business (Pachinko parlors, cabarets etc.).
  • The restricted part-time work permit will be issued on the day of application if you submit the following materials to the Nagoya Regional Immigration Bureau Hamamatsu Branch Office: the application form, a copy of alien registration card and a supplementary letter issued by the Educational Affairs Section of the university.
  • If it is necessary to show the employer that you are allowed to work part-time, show your restricted part-time work permit.

4) Re-Entry Permit

  • A re-entry permit will be given if you wish to go out of Japan temporarily, and re-enter within your authorized period of stay. If you leave Japan without this permit, you will have to re-apply for a visa to re-enter Japan. (there are single entry and multiple entry permits) You also need to have permission from your academic advisor and to inform the foreign student Office in the Educational Affairs Section before leaving Japan temporarily. (submit the traveling abroad notification sheet)
  • If you submit the application form for a re-entry permit, service charge (revenue stamp), passport, alien registration card, and identification card to Nagoya Regional Immigration Bureau Hamamatsu Branch Office, you can obtain the re-entry permit and the re-entry permit stamp in your passport on the day of application.

5) Permission to Acquire Status of Residence
 If your baby is born in Japan, apply for Status of Residence to the Nagoya Regional Immigration Bureau Hamamatsu Branch Office within 30 days by submitting the following materials. The status of residence will be issued on the day of application

  1. Application for Permission to Acquire Status of Residence  2 copies
  2. Birth Certificate (proof of Birth Report issued by the City Hall, maternity passbook etc.) 1 copy
  3. Dependent’s Identification Reference(submit the form with a signature of a dependent who is also an identification referee) 1 copy
  4. Questionnaire (available at the immigration office) 1 copy

6) Obtaining the authorization of resident eligibility for your family
Your family can obtain visas for entering Japan directly from the Japanese Embassy in your country. In addition, dependents (exchange student) can also obtain authorization of resident eligibility as a proxy at an immigration office in Japan, which the student’s family can then take to the Japanese Embassy in the home country and obtain visas. In this way, the time need to have a visa issued is short and the paperwork process at the Japanese Embassy will proceed considerably more smoothly.

  1. Application Form (available at the immigration office) 1 copy
  2. Photograph of each person to receive eligibility status of residence( 4cm×3cm)2 copies
  3. Documents certifying the relationship between dependents and student (family registry or, marriage certificate etc.) 1 copy
  4. Dependents’(students’)Alien registration Card  1 copy
  5. Passport 1 copy
  6. School Enrollment Certificate  1 copy
  7. Documents that prove your financial ability to support family (certificate of bank balances, certificates of receipt of scholarship etc.) 1 copy
  8. Self-addressed envelope with stamps (380 yen postage)
  9. Other documents of reference